The Apollo Belvedere is the oldest sculpture in Kadriorg Park. It is a copy of a statue by the Greek sculptor Leochares, now located in the Belvedere Palace at the Vatican. The statue was probably cast by an unknown master in the 19th century in Germany.
This copy of an antique sculpture found its way to Kadriorg from
the park of Alatskivi Manor. The sculpture needed minor repairs.
A new pedestal was made according to Villem Seidra’s design
and in 1937 it was set up at Apollo Square, which was designed
simultaneously with the nearby Concert Square.
The cast-iron sculpture was initially white but was painted black
for Kadriorg. During the 2017 renovation the white marble imitation
will be restored.