The pavilion in Kadriorg Children’s Park was built
in 1936 – 1937 based on a design by architects Villem Seidra and Alar Kotli and
situated in the simultaneously designed Youth Park. During the Soviet era, the building was used
for the purposes of a sports school, only to be left mostly vacant in the
beginning of the 21st century with the sole occupancy of a dance studio in the
great hall. The pavilion was restored in 2008 – 2009 and converted to Kadriorg
Children’s Museum Miiamilla.
Design work for the Youth Park in 1936 – 1937 was personally curated by none
other than the State Elder Konstantin Päts and his brother Peeter Päts, Head of
State Parks Administration. The pavilion was built using materials and parts
collected from demolished earlier park structures, incl. the wood pillars from
galleries that formerly stood in the Lower Garden. The building housed dressing
rooms that serviced the adjacent outdoor swimming pools and wintertime ice
rink, sports equipment rental, and a cafeteria. The grand hall served as a
concert and movie screening venue.
read about the history of the Youth Park