At the time of the construction of Kadriorg Palace, the main entrance to the imperial park was at the stone bridge across the Liiva stream (present-day Poska Street). One of the first outbuildings erected at the edge of the palace lands was a wooden guardhouse. The first reports of guards stationed there date back to 1721.
In the 1930s, the building was converted into the office of the State
Parks Agency, and later transformed into a residential building
with communal apartments, which became increasingly dilapidated
When the palace complex restoration began in 1991, the project
for the renovation of the old guardhouse was drawn up by architect
Katrin Etverk. Until 2006, it hosted the workshop of the
painting conservators of the Art Museum of Estonia. A café
been operating in the building since 2007.