The Upper Garden was located on two terraces, kind of an extension
of the palace interior in nature. The great doors of the main hall led directly into the flower garden and the stone flowers featured in the interior blended smoothly with the living flowers growing in the symmetrical parterres. The high walls and green galleries made this part of the park simultaneously impressive and intimate. The Flower Garden’s spectacular beauty was enhanced by ponds, fountains and the “backdrop” of the Mirage Wall with a central cascade and water-spewing mascarons. The intricately shaped Mirage Pond, located on the upper terrace, was hidden behind three rows of trees. It was meant to reveal itself to the casual stroller as a marvellous vision. The pond was also meant to have a central islet with sculptures of sea gods.
In 1929, the Head of State August Rei hosted King Gustav V at the palace. The oak tree planted by the royal guest in the Upper Garden is still there. The memorial stone bearing the monarch’s monogram and originally standing under the tree was thought lost, but was found in 1999 during the reconstruction of the garden.
The construction of the President’s administrative building in 1937–1938 necessitated a remodelling of the Upper Garden between the two buildings according to the designs of the Berlin gardening company Späth. The Mirage Pond was filled with soil and the President’s rose garden built in its place. The garden between Kadriorg Palace and the Office of the President was enclosed within walls.
The current Baroque flower garden was restored after 18th-century
drawings and archaeological research and was opened to visitors on July 22, 2000. As a new addition, the bronze sculpture of Neptune by Mati Karmin was installed at the Mirage Wall Cascade in 2005.