During the large-scale restructuring of the gardens in 1936–1937, an open-air concert square was constructed on the Swan Pond axis based on the so-called folk park principles and designed by the German horticulture company Späth. It came complete with a pond with fountains and a prominent wooden bandstand (architect Alar Kotli). A rock garden was planted on either side of the staircase. The main planting material was domestic white elm. The wooden bandstand was destroyed in the early 1990s.
In 2004, the open air stage was renovated and given a green backdrop –
a bosquet-style “green theatre”. The idea of green theatre comes from Germany, from Belvedere Park in Weimar. The terraced rock garden was replaced with roses and renamed as Rose Hill.